Monday, October 30, 2017

The Poet's Dog

I'm working on a chapter book series so I'm always in search of a great chapter book to read. And being an insanely, over-the-top, certifiable dog lover (or nut as most would think), I love ALL good dog books whether for children or adults. I have to be extremely careful though. The dog simply can't get hurt. Heaven forbid, the dog dies in the story!



When I picked up The Poet's Dog, by Patricia MacLachlan, I was apprehensive. Do I dare read it? I brushed my fears aside, put on my big girl panties, so to speak, and turned the first page. I turned page after page and IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! The author is the Newbery Award Winner for Sarah, Plain and Tall. She also has written close to twenty other books. But I digress. The Poet's Dog is a heartwarming, tender story about a man and his relationship with his dog. It's magical and moving, told my a master storyteller. AND...the story has a happy ending (shouldn't they all??). It's a quick read with less than 8000 words, for ages 6-10. I think it should say ages 6-end. When you have a good story to tell, who cares about the word count. If it only takes 8000 words, let it be. No need to fill with fluff.

I can't say enough good things about this book. And now, I'm going to sign off and read it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment